Three days of digging, sand shuffling and sculpting is done. Read more to see the results!
Levelling the base to an inch of its life.
The bricks were laid properly this time. I used concrete to butter the ones in the front in.
One of the areas the last oven fell down was the dome shape. I don’t think it ever burnt as efficiently or took enough fuel. This one was sculpted perfectly.
Getting more dome like.
Covered in newspaper to preserve shape and ensure I don’t dig too deep getting the sand out. I added an arch, glued with quite dry cement. The “door” is a thin plywood form just to keep the arch up.
Treading the clay for the thermal mass.
We used an old clay pipe for the chimney supported on the thermal mass. The thermal mass that makes up the arch connecting the dome to the bricks has straw mixed in.
Sculpting on day one with insulation put on.
Broken glass for fangs
We lit a fire lighter to check the smoke came out.
We used an hand auger/borer to mine for clay. It’s really much easier than simply digging a hole. It’s a deep hole
2nd day, putting on a roof.
The sculpting continues!
Finally a pic of me doing something! Emptying the sand.
All emptied and ready for a week of small drying fires! Thanks Tiff for the awesome dragon, thanks Hatty for being so patient whilst your mum was busy, Tony, Gary and Helsi for the mixing, throwing mud at me and general aid and especially Helsi for the many foods and drinks!