Posts Tagged harlow carr

Around the plot

Down the lottie today I was bitten to death.

However I did get some pics of the different sections so you can see an overview, and there’s a few more pics of the finished raised bed from yesterday which I also planted a bit in.

We now have cucumbers, another courgette, my applemint (restricted by a bottomless pot which is a long pot with the bottom knocked off – the roots don’t tend to go very deep in mint so it’ll restrict its spread for a bit), a left over tomato, last of my leeklings (that’s a bably leek to you), spagetti squash and some sown from seed brussel sprouts (yuk!!)

Pics in a gallery format below

First pic (top right) is of the strawberry bed which is somewhat infested with couch grass (twich) as well as strawberries!, next is the harlow carr 3×3 imitation and finally another pic of the three sisters bed

2nd row new bed with plants, next houses our mangetout, cabbages, a sorry looking cucumber and some more brussels, last pic on second row is our fruit area.

3rd row is of my other runner bean bed with more fruit, and lollo rosso, next pic has cold frame and asparagus bed, last pic on that row is our beans, additional strawberries and rhubarb bed.  I’ll be moving the rhubarb at the end of the season into trenches in front of the blue boxes – it’s unmanageable in the manure beds now.

Final pic is my pond and first line slug defence.  There’s often a frog in there now and I’ve noticed a definate reduction in slugs in the locality.  Good job mr frog!

Leave a Comment



Didn’t have much time today to do anything due to the camp I was on with my scout troop – we only really had time to get a cup of coffee on in the morning on my shiny kelly kettle (a must for allotments or perminant base camping! img_0670





First potatoes of the season – lovely in our stew






Tomatoes with pipe water saving feature – just fill the pipe with water and you water the roots without letting the clay soil get to wet or too hard!






Three sisters bed – planted with corn from, climbing french beans, courgettes, pumpkins, buttercup squash and a mystery squash.  Also there’s a few marigolds there.  Not by design, I just needed somewhere to shove them after my mini green house fell to pieces.






 A view of one of the sections on our ‘harlow carr 3×3’ immitation beds.  This is planted quite closely with sweetcorn and another variety of climbing beans.  You can also see the corner of our broad bean section, lollo rosa lettuce (I think that’s how you spell it) and brussel sprouts (yuk!)






The missus to be (we’re getting married in far less than a month) with the chicken manure.  Lovely.  See how much weight she’s lost, very thin! (that should earn me some brownie points!)  You can also see the potato bed and the rhubarb I split this year behind her (near the bamboo poles)






  First set of strawberries ripening on the plants.  They’re delicious.  So far I’ve had four, Hels has had two.






  Some of the tomatoes I put in – I dug over a very small section which used to be a compost heap and put plant pots in – much like the pipes with the tomatoes above, the pots help feed the roots with water rather than letting the water run over the surface.  It means watering time is much reduced because I only water specific parts, I water less and the plants roots dig deeper.  Handy for feeding too!


Leave a Comment

A walk about the plot



Yesterday evening I made it down the allotment, only originally intending to drop off the water butt connector I’d bought.  Clair was down for the first time in a while attempting to finish the digging she’d started a few weeks ago to prepare her mini-plot.


I did a bit of weeding in and around the plot.  The ‘harlow carr’ bed is starting to take shape now we’ve got some plants in it.  We’ve now got broad beans, lollo rosa lettuce, courgettes, sun flower, leeks, elephant garlic, red/white onions, strawberries, sweetcorn, herbs, tomatoes and chard.


harlow carr bed


Similarly I checked over the three sisters bed which is currently only sporting a couple of pumpkin and courgette plants.  I’ve lined this bed with a few marigolds as I had nowhere else to put them, and they seem to be doing quite well.  Similarly in the potato bed I’ve done the same, and between the rows we’ve planted basil (which didn’t survive) and a mild broad leaf lettuce.  The early potatoes are up nice and high now.


The rhubarb which I split has done exceedingly well.  It’s shading the beans I’ve planted and allowing them to climb the poles without being blown off.  The lack of light has also meant they’ve grown a lot quicker.  We’ll see if there is much difference in the amount of beans produced between the two.


clair and blackbird


The asparagus bed is pretty much been devastated by the wind.  The stems have fallen over or broken off, but I’m hoping for better next year.


The cold frame is full of chili plants ready for the mini greenhouse I’m planning to erect next to our shed and the sweet corn I’ve sown is just germinating now.


The mangetout we planted in our new bed are doing well and are climbing high.  Similarly the cabbages which were donated to us a while ago are looking quite good and are starting to firm up a bit.  The carrot bins are flush with carrot seedlings now and have put out their first set of feathery leaves.




One of the pictures shows Clair with her new friend – a cheeky blackbird which was so tame it was only about a foot away whilst she was digging.  Didn’t mind me getting up close with my camera phone either. 


water butt leaking

Finally my water butt (the new one) when used sprung a leak.  It emptied in about three minutes much to my annoyance.  At least it’s one less I’ll need to drain when I fit the new hose this weekend.

Leave a Comment