Posts Tagged compost



Today was manure day.  Lots of manure.


After pic. But not the last.



A job well done I thought.  But no, apparently root veg don’t like manure so Helen demanured a bed.


Whilst I laid more patio in the green house and we both got rid of the snails.


Sam helped!

Leave a Comment

Winter is coming






Finally got round to getting a gardening update!  The sweetcorn did very well this year – we’ve been told by a friend that you need to pick them as soon as the tassels start going brown.  This is a good tip! Previous years we’ve had starchy but brilliant yellow corn.  This time we’ve had pale corn which has been sweeter than sugar.  But all good things come to an end – as you can see above everything was looking a bit dead.



I cleared the sweetcorn and squash, even tidying down the sides.  I then emptied a compost bin onto it and covered in pond liner to keep it cat litter free until next year.


Blight had taken out the self seeded tomatoes (these are commercial tomatoes that we must have put in the compost bin last year!) and all my other tomatoes – things were looking fine before we popped off on Holiday, but a week is a long time in gardening it seems!  So they all had to go.  We’ve decided to compost all of the tomato rubbish (blight or not) as I’m only intending to grow tomatoes in grow bags or fresh compost from now on.


Helen harvesting the squash and whatever she can rescue from the blighted ones.


The twilight chillies really putting on a display!


Hopefully the final mow of the year!


Produce found under the undergrowth.  The large marrow was a surprise, we thought that plant had died!

Leave a Comment

Raised Bed Project Week


My boards for the raised beds have just arrived. This week we’re going to be building four beds ready for next year. We’ve taken a week off to do it, so expect quick developments!

Leave a Comment

Asparagus graveyard!

The asparagus is officially dead.  when I put it in last year, it sat around in the bag for a few days rather than going straight in whilst I quickly dug it a bed.  it was put in, but I had no real growing instructions.  Unfortunately the weeds got in quick and did the dirty on it over the summer.  During the clearup I did manage to hack it back, hoping in vain it would recover.  No soap, today it is like soggy paper.

I’ve also got rats in the compost bin, which I dug out today and the majority of it is lovely earth.  That went onto the ex-asparagus bed which has been split in two for early potatoes.  I dug over the old herb and carrot bed.  The all died anyway so it wasn’t much of a problem.

Also to note is the formation of the local allotment association and the introduction of polytunnels!  We really wanted one last year for the tomatoes and squash, but were turned down by the parish council.  Now we can take the old greenhouse that was offered to us and take out the glass and use the frame for the polytunnel.

I went home to return with lots of plastic bottles I’ve been meaning to take down there as my tempory greenhouses.  Whilst down there I spoke to a fellow allotmenteer who after hearing of my plight of the asparagus has shown me where a big patch of wild asparagus is growing.  I may be over there to split the crown later in the year!

Leave a Comment