Posts Tagged clay

Another Pizza Oven Build

Last year at the bushmoot I was intending to build an earth pizza oven.  As the area is built on sand dunes, sand was not going to be a problem.  Clay on the other hand was.  I ended up walking to the river, digging and finding… sand!  So this time I came prepared with some readily dug clay and some from a local potter.

10568807_1669706086587012_1413146935515033159_n

 

We dug in a load of sand from literally next to the tarp.  Two young girls did most of the work, the rest of us mucked in only when the camera was showing!

10606453_1669706123253675_3209149046281452874_n

 

For the base, we used wooden logs – these were chopped from a timber pile.  About 3ft long, they were notched so they wouldn’t roll.  We used a tarp to stop the sand running through the bottles onto the floor.  We laid bottles, then tucked the tarp over the bottles and layered sand over the tarp to both hold it in place and give us a firm bed for the fire bricks.  We then built the sand form over the top.

10552495_1669706159920338_5437978127232320904_n

 

Sand form getting there.  All done with eye.

10492229_1669706183253669_7009600953326919914_n

 

Layered a copy of the metro over the top and wetted ready for the oven clay mix.

10563068_1669706229920331_1014863252996665552_n

 

 

Clay being built up around the form.  This was done quite quickly and inside you could see the cracks where it wasn’t bonded quite as well as it could be.

1488243_1669706256586995_9161750537521626659_n

 

Smack the finished dome with a big stick.

10314606_10152361247679385_3268842412731446158_n

 

Straw dipped in clay slip and layered on.  Door is cut.

10580165_10202607339567222_3044715141850654816_n

 

Add another layer of clay with added straw for stability over the top – just a thin layer.

1896835_10202607338167187_942707744645023253_n

 

Add decoration and immediately light!

10525382_10202607340327241_7463821332879280748_n

 

Used an arrow as a blow pipe

1795651_10202607340927256_6457629455078276656_n

10455353_1669706279920326_7950749787903459916_n

10561826_10152418226898768_7007916562347353907_n

The front did dip a little, but still worked fine 🙂

 

10574312_10152418227098768_2874656817549010501_n

 

Leave a Comment

Earth oven version 2

20130527-213217.jpg
Three days of digging, sand shuffling and sculpting is done. Read more to see the results!

Read the rest of this entry »

Comments (1)

Clay content

20130520-191259.jpg

Determining your clay content is fairly simple, all you need is a pickle jar or similar, some clay and some water!

Read the rest of this entry »

Leave a Comment

Pizza with Friends

My friends Chad and Tanya visited this weekend (bringing a range of beer and cider) mainly to try some of my pizza and experience the delights of “The Man Cave” cinema experience – though we made so much pizza (probably about 20 or so) we never actually got round to doing much in the way of cinema viewing.  Chad has pointed out I need a wifi baby monitor so I can sit out in the garden without worrying to much about my baby to be.

As you can see from the above image the insulation on the pizza oven doesn’t really survive the burns I’ve been doing.  It should really be encapsulated in a lime render – similarly the large cracks that have formed correspond to the large cracks in the oven itself.  It’s pretty much had it and we’re intending on rebuilding it soon.  I think the only real way to do it is to have everyone over stomping some mud for the new oven, offer them pizza from the old then rebuild it the next day.  We pretty much know how much we need (a lot!) and if we make enough screened material without pointy stones in it it should be an easy process.

At least I know what’s wrong with the current oven – we just didn’t use anywhere near enough sand in it!

Pics below

 

Leave a Comment

Sunday

Just found I have a gallery feature, so if you’re subscribing via RSS, you may be annoyed by this… 

One thing I didn’t take a picture of yesterday was the assembling of the scaffolding boards for the raised bed.  Basically I left a small part of my plot to my friend to plant in.  Two months later, she’s just about broken the surface, but it needed a lot more work, ie double digging.

This meant a six hour digging marathon where I started by emptying about 2ft of soil onto a black pond liner I had lying about.  I then dug in soil improver and fresh manure (because that’s what was available) to try and break up the clay (see pics one and three – the clay was coming out in huuuuge lumps and the first pic shows the black soil improver)

The result was the beds volume was raised by the same height as the scaffolding boards – almost a foot.  Shows how compressed the clay way, now it’s broken up and I’ve dug in some drainage I hope to grow things other than weeds  in it this year.

Leave a Comment