With the new SSR fitted, it was time one again to brew! I used the standard NRB Amarillo BIAB recipe from the BIABacus at http://www.biabrewer.info.
We raised the water to 71’C to hit our strike temperature. The grain was stored inside, already in the bag ready to go. If the grain was colder than room temperature, we’d have to increased our strike temperature to take this into account. You can see above the bag already added and giving a stir to break up all the lumps.
After the grain is stirred and at the right temperature, we wrapped up the grain in a sleeping bag and used my coat over the top (not pictured). At this point, have a beer!
Halfway through the 90 minute mash, the temperature had dropped about 4’C, so we raised the bag up and turned the element back on.
At the end, we’d really squeezed the bag out and put the dried grain in the composter.
Now it was time to raise the temperature up and give it a boil.
Here it is – boiling. It did this for a further 90 minutes. The hop additions weren’t pictured, but I used three brewing socks to make the additions through the brew.
We added curtains halfway down the garage to keep the steam at bay and used a fan I’d found in a skip to push the steam out the double doors.
Taste testing with an absurdly long spoon is necessary.
Immersion heater in, you can see the hop bags. Five minutes before this I added a protofloc tablet to aid with clarity.
I pitched the lot (cold break and hot break) into the fermenter. Everything smells fine to me.
I used the drop into the fermenter to aerate the wort.
Lots of bubbles! So well aerated that I couldn’t easily pitch the dry yeast. Next time, maybe I’ll make a starter!
I really enjoyed the brew – a few things didn’t go as planned and the immersion cooler hose ends had gone AWOL so we had to run round looking for those at the last minute, but it was fairly relaxing. The wort tastes excellent and I’m looking forward to the beer. My only concern is I only used half a protofloc tablet (thinking they were the same as whirlfloc tablets) and I tossed in all the break rather than filtering, but I’ve been told conflicting views. We’ll see how it works out.