Archive for August, 2015

Making a home forge!

image

Take a 1960s morris minor wheel, stick some metal prongs on it

image

Add a bike bit to help distribute the air

image

Add biscuit tin

image

Weld

image

Add charcoal and fire!

image

And metal!

image

And air. Its not supposed to melt like that by the way…

image

Bend! And you can make anything! Like a fire crane!

Leave a Comment

Pizza oven firing door

Wooden doors burn. Metal ones don’t.

So… Biscuit tins

image

Did the job, hardly any burning, hotter pizza oven much quicker than normal!

Leave a Comment

Cider

Our cider was made about 50:50 with Bramley (sour) and Discovery eating apples.

image

image
Smash with stick
image
When pulped, put into press. This one was a donated press from Steve’s grandparents originally used for wine.

image

image

image

image
First batch made a nice medium apple juice. We added demerara sugar to add sweetness.
image

image

image

11 litres. 13 once sugar and water added. OG 1.074, so going to be 8.4%!

Leave a Comment

Nothing is finer than cider

image

Two years ago, Helen made an apple picker at the bushmoot (two bushmoot related posts in a day!)

We’ve never used it until today.

image

My parents wanted their tree stripped because they had problems with wasps

image

Two bags of apples later we obviously need more.

image

But they smell really good in the garage where they’ll sit, not touching until next weekend.

Leave a Comment

Sewing

During this years bushmoot, aside from the usual making things out of forest materials, one guy brought his sewing machine and did a talk. His love of them and their history was eye opening, but he also gave us a quick run down and some general knowledge.

My wife has (had?) A 66k but whilst I tried to work with it I failed miserably – it refused to sew.

So on the way back from my holiday I picked up a 201K (the luxury sewing machine of its age, worth about 6 months average wages!) Made in March 1940 for about £75 from good old eBay. Its not quite mint (but close!), but with a few drops of oil it started to run much smoother!

image

Anyway, I set it up and exactly the same thing happened that happened me on the wife’s 66K.

image

So, it wasn’t the machine, it was obviously me! So now knowing with some pointers from my new found friend I finally worked out where I’d been going wrong!

image

And whilst I used high school maths to work out the correct circumference, I completely failed to add a seam allowance to the sides.

image

So a small mistake.

image

And by bizarre coincidence, the camo lined up. But it still works and I’m pleased with my first attempt.

Leave a Comment