Today I’ve prepared the mushroom log. I got a set of shiitake mushroom infected dowels which I did my best to get into the 8mm holes I’d made in my 1metre log.
Unfortunately the dowels have been sitting around in the kitchen for a while now where they should have been refrigerated apparently – I’ve still loaded them up and we’ll see how they progress. They did ‘smoosh’ very easily. This meant my holes are slightly bigger than the 8mm recommended because everytime I tried to gently persuade them in with the mallet, they just smeared on the log.
The idea is to mount the log into a pile of tyres (having dug it into a small well of sorts). The soil is very clay like round my area and quite wet – so fingers crossed it won’t dry out quickly. The tyes will catch rain as tyres always do in the rim. During the summer it will evaporate keeping the area nice, damp and cool (or so goes the theory). It’ll probably also go stagnant and make horrible smells, but who knows, I might be breaking new ground in intensive mushroom farming!
So off we go! Huzzah for nice looking april weather (lol – shower time I suspect when I get down there!)